- Put the water and salt into a pot with the rice and simmer on low until it takes on a porridge-like consistency. Place in a cool place and allow it to ferment overnight.
- Sift the matcha, sugar, and flour together and mix into the rice. Allow the mixture to ferment longer until it increases to about double its size.
- Mix in the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Pour the cooking oil into a heavy bottom stock pot and heat. Once the oil is hot, use a spoon and scoop balls of dough into it. Fry until they are done - the dough will float to the top. Take care not to drop the batter into the oil too forcefully so as to not splash yourself.
- Remove the finished donuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil. Sift some matcha and sugar over them while they are still hot so the coating sticks nicely.
Note: If you find using rice makes the donuts too mushy, you can use flour instead. Just be careful- put too much flour and they might come out hard!
The Matcha used in this recipe is available in:
Aiya Cooking Grade Matcha
Aiya Organic Cooking Grade Matcha