- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the milk in a pot over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges and it begins to lightly steam. (This process is called "scalding" and it will intensify the milk flavor.) Set aside to let it cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs together.
- Add the sugar, salt, vanilla, and Matcha to the eggs. Whisk together until well incorporated.
- With your mixer running (or while continously whisking), add the scalded milk to the eggs a little at a time, tempering the eggs.
- Continue to add the milk to the egg mixture little by little until it is well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 40-50 minutes. (To avoid any spill over, make sure not to over fill the shell.)
- When the custard is set, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Top with your favorite topping. We recommend fruit and/or whipped cream. Dust with Matcha to decorate if desired.
- Store any leftover pie in the refrigerator.
Note: If you wish to intensify the green tea flavor, you can double the amount you add from one tablespoon to two.
Note: What kind of pie shell you use is up to you. While a homemade one is best, a store bought one can work as well.
The Matcha used in this recipe is available in:
Aiya Cooking Grade Matcha
Aiya Organic Cooking Grade Matcha